Trash, Recycle, & Yard Waste
- Yard Waste Pickup Schedule
- Acceptable and unacceptable trash
- Trash route and trash collection schedule
- Find a vendor to purchase the City's trash bags
- Holiday pickup schedule
- Request a trash or recycling barrel
- Trash fees & removal fees for larger items
- Paint Collection
- Dumpster Maintenance
- Dog Waste Stations
Place recycling bin curbside on your trash day by 7:00 a.m.
Mattresses and Textiles Recycling Information
Over 600,000 mattresses are disposed of each year in Massachusetts. The City has contracted with HandUp US, a mattress and box spring recycler to take clean mattresses and disassemble them into the wood, metal, and fabric components with the goal of recycling or reusing the materials.
Pick Up Schedule
Mattress recycling days are Monday and Thursday. You must call 3-1-1 (or 617-466-4209) to schedule the day and address for your pick up. On that day, leave the mattress outside by 7am. It does not need to be wrapped in plastic. Mattresses left outside without scheduled pickup may be ticketed.
Please let the 311 operator know if your mattress has bed bugs. These MUST BE WRAPPED in plastic and will be picked up separately.
City Trash Customers - The mattress pick up is FREE of charge if your trash is picked up by the City of Chelsea. Please call the number above to schedule a pick up.
Non-City Trash Customers - If you have trash service from a private hauler, you should contact that company first. However, if they will not take mattresses and box springs, the City will pick up for a fee of $40 per item. Please pay in person at City Hall or mail a check to:
500 Broadway, Room 310
Chelsea MA, 02150
Once payment has been received, you can schedule a pick up.
The average person discards 100 pounds of clothing each year byt 95% of clothing and textiles can be reused or recycled. The City is working with the Helpsy, a B corporation, to collect and recycle textiles.
- Acceptable Textiles - clothing, accessories, shoes, linens, blankets, quilts, tablecloths, cloth napkins, luggage, bags, stuffed animals, curtains and more!
- Unacceptable textiles - items that are wet, muddy, moldy, or smelly even after washing.
Pick Up Schedule
Textiles are picked up on Wednesdays. You must call 3-1-1 (or 617-466-4209) to schedule the day and address for your pick up, or use the online scheduler at www.helpsy.co/chelseama. Place the clean, dry items in a plastic bag and write "HELPSY" on the outside. Place the bags by your front door before 7am on the scheduled pick up day. This services is free for all residents.
Trash/Waste Collection Information
|Memorial Day||Monday, May 29, 2023||One day delay for all routes.|
|Building Type or Usage Category||Monthly Fee||Annual Fee|
|Owner -occupied Unit||No charge||No charge|
|Residential Property (up to 8 units)||$38.65||$463.77|
|Commercial Unit in Mixed-Use Building||$182.33||$2,187.97|
|Church, School, or Non-Profit||$91.17||$1,094.05|
- Property owners may contract with a City-approved waste hauler for any of the above services.
- The City does not provide trash and recycling services to commercial properties other than mixed-use buildings. Commercial properties must contract with a City-approved waste hauler.
- Residential properties with more than 8 units must contract with a City-approved waste hauler.
The City of Chelsea municipal trash customers can call 3-1-1 (617-466-4209) to schedule FREE curbside pickup of these items. Unscheduled items left on the street will be ticketed.
Wrap your mattress and spring box in plastic to avoid the spread of bed bugs. Items not wrapped in plastic will not be collected, and you may be issued a violation citation.
White Goods Stickers
The following items will only be collected through the White Goods program. To dispose, residents must purchase a sticker ($25.00 for each item) at the Treasurer's Office at Chelsea City Hall Room #213. Sticker must be on item for pick up.
- Computer monitors (rest of computer is acceptable for trash)
- Air Conditioners
- Washer & dryers
- Hot water heaters / water tank
When: 1st Saturday of the month from April to October
Time: 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Drop-off Location: Chelsea City Yard, 380 Beacham Street.
Note: Latex paint should be opened, dried, and discarded with your regular trash.