Licensed Public Works Specialist
Union: Teamsters Pay Class/Grade 1
Annual Salary: $52,690.29
POSITION SUMMARY: Under general supervision of a superior, operates wheeled vehicles and power equipment; performs a variety of manual skilled, semi-skilled and unskilled tasks. The work of this position involves the skilled operation of vehicles and equipment requiring a Class B (CDL) Massachusetts Operators License or be able to obtain this license in six (6) months from the date of hire. Performs skilled building and construction work including painting, graffiti removal, brick and stone masonry, concrete and pavement work, curb and manhole building, pavement marking, etc. Repairs roads, streets, fences, signs, etc. The work performed is in accordance with established schedules and general instruction, and is checked on completion for satisfactory performance.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: High school diploma or equivalent. Good employment record.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES: Ability to perform routine, daily maintenance on vehicles and equipment. Ability to perform skilled building and construction work. Ability to follow detailed oral and written instructions.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS and DUTIES
Vehicle Operation and Maintenance
- Drives or Operates one or more vehicles and equipment such as dump trucks, pick-up trucks, tractors, salters, and various snow plows and snow removal equipment engaged in Public Works construction, maintenance, snow removal and other related Public Works projects and activities.
- Services and follows prescribed preventative maintenance on equipment or vehicles being operated, such as checking oil, coolant, battery levels, tire pressure, grease fittings, hydraulic and pneumatic hoses and coupling devices.
- Checks vehicles and equipment for proper operation and maintenance and reports problems to Foreman.
- Repairs and constructs streets, sidewalks, signs, fences, manholes, drains, and park and ground facilities in accordance with established schedules and general instruction.
- Performs work as laborer when not engaged in the operating of equipment or performing other activities listed above.
- Laboring work may include such duties as hand sweeping of streets and sidewalks, removal of graffiti, emptying of litter barrels, maintenance of grounds including the pick-up of litter and debris, hand shoveling of snow, hand salting and sanding, and loading/unloading of trucks and equipment.
- Participates in City’s snow and ice removal operations.
- Is available for emergency and call-in duties.
LICENSING and OTHER REQUIREMENTS: A current valid Massachusetts Class B Driver’s license with air brake endorsement, or the ability to obtain one within six (6) months of date of employment. Drug and Alcohol screening are a condition of employment.
To apply, email your application and/or resume to email@example.com or send to
Human Resources, City of Chelsea, 500 Broadway, Room 301, Chelsea, MA 02150
To view all of our Job Openings, go to our website at www.chelseama.gov.
The City of Chelsea is an Equal Opportunity Employer
|Job Description (PDF)|