Community Health Worker (CHW)
Public Health Department
UNION: USWA PAY GRADE: 5
Annual Base Salary $46,269.45 - $57,975.11
POSITION SUMMARY (Further details below)
The City of Chelsea strives to improve health outcomes, promote the well-being of Chelsea residents, build community resilience and advance health equity by bridging social services and augmenting health care access.
As trusted members of the community, Community Health Workers (CHWs) are an integral part of achieving these goals. CHWs have the skills and experience to understand resident’s circumstances and barriers. The CHW will serve as an on the ground resource for residents, will engage with existing state and/or local public health led-actions, and will help residents access services specifically to their needs. The CHW will support outreach programs and activities from the Chelsea Division of Public Health and the Department of Housing and Community Development.
A Community Health Worker is a public health worker who applies his or her unique understanding of the experience, language and culture of the populations he or she serves in order to carry out one or more of the following roles:
- (a) providing culturally appropriate health education, information and outreach in community-based settings such as homes, schools, hospitals, clinics, shelters, local businesses and community centers;
- (b) bridging or culturally mediating between individuals, families, and communities, including actively building individual and community capacity;
- (c) assuring that community members access the services they need;
- (d) providing social support, care coordination and health survey screenings;
- (e) advocating for individual, family and community needs pertaining to access to services, and additional roles as may be identified in the development of CHW practice.
Resident Engagement and Assessment
- Assist residents via telephone or in person to navigate available social services programs.
- Assess impact of COVID-19 in the community setting.
- Provide culturally sensitive services to residents from diverse racial, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Engage in outreach activities at various settings utilizing varying methods such as phone calls, in-person conversations, and group presentations, distribution of prints and electronic information, and social media.
- May require evening and weekend hours in order to maximize engagement with the community
Systems Navigation and Collaboration
- Collaborate with team members, city departments, community based organization, medical providers and other stakeholders to support resident needs.
- Assist residents with completion of applications for services.
- Remain informed about public health, housing and social services resources
- Research and connect residents to community resources related to Social Determinants of Health needs, including food, housing, legal services, access to health care and other identified needs secondary to COVID19.
- High school diploma or GED required
- Two to four years of work experience in related fields such as social services, community outreach, community or public health, etc.
- As a condition of continued employment, must be able to become certified as a Community Health Worker pursuant to regulations set forth by Division of Professional Licenses & Permits.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- English fluency required. Bi-lingual capabilities in a language relevant to Chelsea’s culture required (Spanish strongly preferred).
- Assessment and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and within a multi-cultural team
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and provide advocacy for racially and ethnically diverse populations and communities preferred
- Strong commitment to social justice and health equity
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook and Excel
Supervision Received: Public Health Director Supervision Exercised: None
To apply, email your application and/or resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or send to Human Resources, City of Chelsea, 500 Broadway, Room 301, Chelsea, MA 02150
To view all of our Job Openings, go to our website at www.chelseama.gov.
The City of Chelsea is an Equal Opportunity Employer.