Vital Records (Births, Marriages, Deaths)
Vital records are housed in a number of locations, depending upon the date of the event. The Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records issues copies of birth, marriage, and death records from 1921 to the present. Records from 1841 to 1920 are housed at the Massachusetts Archives. Here in Chelsea, birth, marriage, and death records dating to 1800 are kept with the City Clerk's office. Keep in mind that, because Chelsea is so small, an vital event might have occurred in Boston or another neighboring municipality.
- Chelsea Gazette: April, 1886 – December, 1931.
- Chelsea Telegraph- Pioneer: January, 1855 – December, 1906.
- Chelsea Weekly News: 1976-1990
- Chelsea Evening Record: April, 1908-July, 1923.
- Chelsea Record: 1924-Present.
In addition, hard bound volumes of the Chelsea Record from 1939-1968 are available with staff assistance.
In the past, city directories were published much like a phone book, but showing addresses and occupations of residents. The Chelsea Public Library has bound copies from 1847 to 1995, as well as 1847 to 1933 on microfilm. Additionally, you may find certain year's additions online via Google Books or archive.org.
- 1861 Chelsea City Directory via archive.org.